Home  |  About Us  |  Blog
Browse By Career

Marital Therapist Programs in Idaho

To become a marital therapist you will be required to have extensive education. This path is a long and difficult process, but you will be starting down a rewarding career path. You will know that you are training to be in a position to help married couples who are struggling in their relationships.

Idaho like most states requires that you have a minimum of a master’s degree before you can apply for a license in marital therapy. You can go about getting your master’s degree in a number of steps. You will also have choices along the way to help you get there.

Some people choose to take their first step into the education world by starting at the community college level, and others prefer to begin at the state university level. You also have the option of starting your education in an online school or private school. One of the most important things that you can do is to make sure that you are comfortable with the school you attend. Something that you should check, before you start classes is to make sure that the school is accredited. This will prevent you from having to repeat class work over again. If the school hasn’t done the proper job when it comes to their credentials your education won’t be accepted.

Once you have finished your bachelor’s degree you can start working on your master’s degree. Your master’s degree will generally take at least two years to complete. However, these aren’t the only requirements that you will have to fulfill. You will also have to consider what the state insists that you do. Often this comes in the terms of making sure that you are getting in the right amount of clinical hours. When it comes to training states often put a time limit on how long you have to complete the process. This means that it is very important that you know for sure that you will be able to finish before you start. Otherwise you will risk losing the progress you had made. You will have to start over again.
The training time the state requires has to be supervised by a professional within your profession. They often insist that said professional has been working within the industry for a specific length of time. This helps to prevent the student from learning practices that a less experiences therapist might not yet have acquired.

When you are finished with your training the next thing you will have to do is make sure your application is properly completed for the board. This is important to consider early on, as the board may require any of your education records. You will also have to take the state mandated exam and pass before your application is completed. The board will then review the information you have submitted and if you have passed all of their requirements, and paid any fees, or dues, you will be granted your license.

You may then begin considering the different types of choices you’ll face in employment. You will be able to work within the private sector, or you can consider working on one of the different government jobs that you can apply for. Working as a marital therapist is a rewarding career choice that you’ll have many options in. A private sector position will give you more freedom to work the hours you choose, however working within a government position can mean working with clients who otherwise might not be able to afford your services.