Home  |  About Us  |  Blog
Browse By Career

Where to get started in Marital Therapy in Florida

Going back to school can be a scary prospect. There are so many things that may have changed since you started. Even continuing straight out of high school into a career like martial therapy can seem overwhelming. In Florida, like many other states, you will be required to have a minimum of a master’s degree. This is a large amount of training and can seem daunting at first. However, most students feel that in the end it is completely worth it.

The first thing that you will want to work on is getting your bachelor’s degree. There are a lot of ways that you can go about doing this. Some people choose to go directly to either a state or a private university; this can save them a step of having to transfer from a community college. Others, however, feel that starting at the community college level can save them money, and often have a less rigid schedule for them to have to follow. This can help if you are trying to go back to school.

Another viable choice for your education needs is attending an online school. This can be very helpful for someone trying to continue their education as an adult, who still has to work, or take care of children. However, there are many choices in the world of online education. One of the important things to keep in mind is that you will need to make sure that you are meeting all the requirements of the state. Online schools can be risky if you don’t do your research; there are many online schools these days that are fully accredited. Just be sure that you are checking not only with the school that you plan to attend but with the state you are getting your license in, for instance, Florida to make sure that your education will be accepted. You don’t want to end up having to work harder than you need to, and if your school isn’t properly accredited this is easily what can happen.

Once you are in school make sure that you are doing everything you can to use the resources they offer. They will have educational counselors or advisors on hand to help you make choices when it comes to your class plan. This can help to keep you from taking classes that you really don’t need, or from missing a class that turns out to be a requirement. Planning your education can be tricky, so don’t ignore that help that they offer.

When you have your bachelor’s degree you will need to move on to your master’s degree. Some schools offer both, but in other cases you may have to transfer. Make sure all along your educational process that you are keeping your personal records in order. This will be important at times of transferring schools, or when you are done with your master’s and moving on to the licensing plan. Sometimes you can combine many of the state requirements with the completion of your bachelor’s degree and others you will have to do them separately. The state will require that you meet a level of one-on-one clinical practice. This means that you will work under a supervisor seeing clients. This gives you the real life experience that you will need once you do have your license.

After your master’s degree is completed, and you have met the states training demands, you will be able to take the exam and apply for your license to practice as a marital therapist. This can include paying fees, your license application will be reviewed and as long as you have met all of the state standards likely approved, and you’ll be ready to begin working as a marital therapist.