Home  |  About Us  |  Blog
Browse By Career

Texas Child Therapy Training

Texas residents who are interested in pursuing careers in child therapy tend to know that they must, first and foremost, have the right education in order to even stand a chance of making their career goals a reality. Many of them, however, get confused at the vast number of degree offerings from colleges and universities throughout the state and online as well. In order to try and make the different degrees and what you can do with them more clear, we've broken down the different degrees that can be earned in an easy to follow list. You can use this in order to help you to determine the best educational program to suit your personal needs and career goals. If, after reading, you still have questions, it's a good idea to contact a college or career counselor in your state for more one on one advice.

Associate's Degree: An associate's degree program is the minimum level of formal education offering a degree. These degrees are typically earned at community colleges or at online colleges; they are not usually offered at traditional colleges and universities. With an associate's degree alone, you will, quite simply, not qualify for work in the field. However, you can use the associate's degree as a springboard to other degrees. It is not at all uncommon to do this, since associate's degrees are quite affordable to earn and can cut out a lot of the costs incurred while pursuing a bachelor's degree. Just make sure that if you enter into one of these programs, you do so with the goal in mind of transferring your credits to an accredited bachelor's degree program.

Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor's degree is basically the lowest level of education you can have and still be able to find work in the field. These degrees are typically earned in about four years, sometimes more for those who have greater amounts of time to devote to their studies. Degrees are sometimes offered in child therapy specifically, but most people will end up having to major in a related but not exact area. Common major choices include general psychology, child psychology, child development, applied psychology, community psychology, family psychology, sociology, and social work. If you plan to work with only a bachelor's degree, then you will more than likely need to supplement your education with a specialized certification program. With only a bachelor's degree and certification, you can work entry level positions within the field, but you cannot actually practice therapy.

Master's Degree: In order to become a licensed, practicing therapist in the state of Texas, you will need to have earned at least a master's degree. Many people imagine these programs to be incredibly difficult and time consuming, but this is not generally the case. In fact, most master's degree programs are designed with working adults in mind, meaning that a majority of the classes may be offered online or in the evening. A master's degree is typically completed in anywhere from one to three years, depending upon your exact educational program and higher learning institution, as well as the amount of time you have to commit to taking classes each semester. With a master's degree, you are eligible for licensure, which can then lead to the actual practicing of child therapy.

Doctorate Degree: The sought after doctorate degree, also commonly referred to as a PhD, is the highest level degree in the field. With this degree, you can virtually do anything that you desire within the realms of child therapy. However, earning a doctorate degree is a major commitment and typically takes around seven years to complete. Most people will already be working in the field as they pursue their PhDs. In some cases, their employers may finance all or part of their educations. These programs are both expensive and intense, but they are a wonderful way to acquire the most prestigious positions in the field and to earn top salaries.

Certifications: Many people think that certifications are an alternative to pursuing a degree, but this is not the case at all. They are no good on their own, but can help you to get certain positions in specialized areas when coupled with a degree you have previously earned.