Home  |  About Us  |  Blog
Browse By Career

How to Continue My Child Therapy Education in Arkansas

Sometimes, no matter how well intentioned and well thought out our goals are, they sometimes get cast aside for other things. Marriage, having children, or any other of life's unexpected surprises can take us away from our educational pursuits. If, however, you were pursuing an education in child therapy in the state of Arkansas, then you're in luck. This state offers many wonderful learning opportunities in the field for those on all steps of the journey toward becoming a child therapist. Your first step is to assess your current educational status. From there, you can decide what your next move should be.

If you've already earned an associate's degree, for instance, then congratulations! You are only about two years away from earning an undergraduate degree, which is the lowest level degree necessary for finding real work in the field. All you will have to do to continue your education is to find an undergraduate program in a related field, such as psychology or child development, and then have your credits and transcripts sent over from the institution you attended to earn your associate's degree. In some cases, you may even be able to continue your education from where you left off at the same institution.

For those who already have a bachelor's degree, it is possible to find work in the field. Generally, of course, it is very entry level working, such as child therapy assisting and the like, but some people are very happy with these jobs. If you are not, however, or if you're having trouble finding work, which very well may be the case in such a competitive state, then you might want to consider going back to school to earn your master's degree. Even if your bachelor's degree is unrelated to the career you wish to have, don't worry. Many master's level programs are more than willing to accept students with diverse educational backgrounds due to the new and beneficial perspectives they often bring to the program.

If you already have a master's degree, then you have lots of options available. You can, of course, find work in the field right away, or you can choose to pursue licensure or accreditation or both for even more career opportunities. Or, if you're up for even more schooling, you can choose to earn your PhD in child therapy. This degree is an excellent choice for those who wish to make more money at their current jobs or to be eligible for the most prestigious positions in the field.

Even if you already have a PhD, you can still continue your education. In fact, continuing education courses are often required for maintaining licensure or accreditation status. Such classes are a great way to stay on top of the latest developments and changes in this vast and important field. You can also consider changing up your area of expertise or adding new knowledge by choosing to pursue a certificate in a particular area, such as play therapy or art therapy.