Home  |  About Us  |  Blog
Browse By Career

Drug and Alcohol Addiction Therapist Certification

Required Certification or Licensure

Students should plan to apply for a state-specific Counselor Registration License while performing internship requirements. Each state has its’ own regulations and so it might prove time, and cost effective to look specifically into each desired state of employment. This information can help potential substance abuse counselors to evaluate which educational program will best meet their needs. After the application for the Counselor Registration License is approved, a temporary certification is issued. This will act as a temporary license until the student has completed their internship hours, graduated from a chemical dependency certification program, and launched into the beginning of their career. This temporary license grants students the ability to work in a clinical environment under valid supervision. A graduate is eligible to test for the state specific license granted by the Department of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, and the Chemical Dependency Counselor Certification Board which is a Department of Health organization once they have completed a minimum of an associates degree and internship hours. This is the final step to earning the CDP, CDC, or LCDC credential. This is the final step in becoming a certified substance abuse therapist.

Types of Substance Abuse Counselor Credentials

There are three different credentials associated with a substance abuse counselor degree, they are: (CDP) Chemical Dependency Professional, (CDC) Chemical Dependency Counselor, or/and (LCDC) Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor. These credentials are essentially the sameaddiction therapy certification and they differ only by the organization granting the certification. Each state has a preferred institution when granting a license to students wishing to become a chemical dependency counselor. These credentials are available for acquisition at the substance abuse counselor certificate level.

Continuing Addiction Therapy Education

As substance abuse therapists advance in their career, it is considered prudent to continue education in their preferred field. The minimum requirement is ten hours of CEUs, which stands for Continuing Education Units. Most therapists find this requirement easy to fulfill and it generally happens quite naturally due to new philosophy, seminars, and studies that emerge. Staying current usually happens by virtue. The Continuing Education Units can usually be satisfied online or through a community college.